For nearly eight weeks, I’ve been working on a new project called 30 to Lifestyle. It’s a health, fitness and wellness site done in partnership with my friend Christa behind Coaching with Christa. There’s a challenge element set to launch on September 1, which will include a month of workouts designed by Christa and recipes written by yours truly. To make it all the more interesting, we have sponsor companies who have donated products that we’ll giveaway as prizes! One of the prizes includes cookbooks to inspire your at-home kitchen experiences. I received a cookbook from one of our sponsors, Quarto Publishing Group, and the first thing I did was try a couple of simple recipes. That’s where these cookies come into play. They’re an easy and quick treat that you can throw together in less than 10 minutes.
These little cookies probably look like macaroons to you, and that would be just about right. They can be made without the egg whites, though, which means a completely dairy-free alternative. They’re also flourless, bound together with almond flour, so consider this a gluten-free alternative as well. This recipe is one of the 500 dishes included in Quarto Publishing Group’s newly released The Little Vegan Cookbook. The book is packed with recipes that range from simple to a bit more involved. If you know my style, I often choose the easiest, quickest ones that feature ingredients I have on hand. These coconut orange cookies were just the pick.
Quarto Publishing Group donated several cookbooks that are up for grabs during my 30 to Lifestyle challenge in September. We’ll randomly choose winners along the way for gifts like this and more through the entire month. Just like the lottery, the only way to win is to play. Registration for the challenge is open, and you can score a $10 discount through July 31st by using promo code “30TOLIFESTYLE”. Hopefully you’ll join us and other participants as we power our way through September with workouts, recipes and more. In the meantime, try making these cookies for your next get together. They’re probably one of the easiest cookbook recipes you’ll ever make!
- 2 cups (160 grams) sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup (112 grams) almond flour
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (6 grams) fresh orange zest
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) vanilla almond milk, plus more if needed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the coconut, almond flour, brown sugar and orange zest. Use your hands to break up any clumps and evenly distribute the ingredients. Add the almond milk, stirring well until the mixture forms a thick, paste-like dough. If the dough is a bit dry, add additional milk about 1 teaspoon at a time. The dough should be moist enough to form into balls.
- Using a 1/2 ounce scoop or teaspoon measure, drop balls of dough onto the sheet tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown along the edges. Cool for a few minutes on the tray, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Disclamer: Quarto Publishing Group provided a copy of its cookbook for review without monetary compensation. All opinions are my own.