We have great friends who like to cook as we do. More and more, our amigos are sending us Facebook and Gchat messages about what they just made. If we’re lucky, we’ll get a text with a photo. As foodies, we are easily excited by meals that we make ourselves, but it’s nice to see our friends beaming with pride over their dishes. Sergio is a good friend of ours who lives far across the world in Harlem, New York. He’s made several trips out to LA, and believe it or not, during those visits, we’ve never cooked for him nor he for us. We do know that he likes to throw parties for friends and invite them over for holiday dinners every once in a while, so clearly he must know what he’s doing. He was delighted to receive an invitation to be the August guest for our Test Kitchen series. Let’s see what he’s cookin’, shall we?
Looking for that perfect light and healthy salad dish this summer? Keep in mind that summer is not over (officially) until after Labor Day. I ventured out to Whole Foods Market, which is my primary grocer choice for natural and organic foods, and I decided to make a light, healthy salad, with homemade salad dressing and lightly grilled chicken breast cutlets. It’s perfect for picnics, the beach or a light salad for lunch at the office. It’s also perfect for Deb’s Soup, Salad and Sandwich Sunday round up!
Sergio’s Summer Salad with Grilled Chicken– Serves 4
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 large chicken breasts
1. Stir vinegar, garlic, and soy sauce together. Pour in large bowl, add chicken and cover. Let marinate at least one hour.
2. Prepare regular pan to grill chicken. Spray pan with non-stick oil. Grill chicken on low-medium heat for approximately 6-8 minutes or until juices run clear, flipping occasionally.
3. After the chicken is grilled, cut into small to medium slices. Set aside.
Mesculin greens (How much?) – 5 cups
4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, toasted
1 roasted bell red pepper, sliced
Feta cheese (to taste)
Strawberries, cut (optional)
1. Place pepper on stove burner and heat on high, flipping occasionally using tongs. Remove from heat, place in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Once cooled, remove skin and cut into small pieces.
2. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Place grilled chicken slices on top of salad.
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt (to taste)
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend down until smooth. Serve with salad.
Click HERE for the printable recipe.