Parties, parties, parties. This is the season for parties–parties at your home, parties with friends, family members, work colleagues. When December rolls along, the entire month is packed with celebrations for the holidays. Sometimes, your only responsibility is to show up and enjoy. Other times, you find yourself either tasked with something to bring or heading up the festivities. Look no further because this dip is the answer to your party prayers. It is warm, gooey and full of flavor thanks to lots of blue cheese. It doesn’t take much to put it together, which means you can quickly assemble and enjoy.
Let’s just say that one of the best components to this dish is the bacon fat. There’s the underlying meaty essence that mingles in quite the friendly way with mild shallots and spicy garlic. Of course, you could use butter or oil as this dip has plenty of fat from the five–oh yes, five–varieties of dairy. You can’t think about that while you’re making this, though.
The dip is easy to combine and pour into a baking dish, and it can be covered and chilled until baking time. If you’re going to a party, ask the host ahead of time if you can pop it into the oven. That way, you don’t have to transport bubbling cheese via car. It is a simple appetizer for any holiday occasion, and guests will definitely be happy.
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat (or olive oil)
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 ounces fresh parmesan, finely chopped
- Heat bacon fat or olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the shallots and garlic, and cook until soft and translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Place the cream cheese in a food processor, and blend til smooth. Add mayonnaise, sour cream and milk, then blend again. Scrape this mixture into a medium mixing bowl.
- Stir in cooked shallots and garlic, scallions, parsley and blue cheese. Transfer mixture to a gratin dish or any small baking dish. Sprinkled parmesan on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Remove from the oven, garnish with more scallions and parsley, and serve while hot.